Does water pool in your sink or tub and take forever to drain? Do you have weird rotting smell coming from your kitchen sink? Do your drains gurgle? All of these are signs of clogged drains. Give us a call to fix any clogged drain problem, then follow these steps to prevent your drains from getting clogged again:
- Food scraps should always be placed in the compost, and not allowed to go down the drain. To prevent little food scraps from falling through, place a drain strainer in your sink.
- Grease and oil should be sealed in a container and then thrown in the trash, never drained down the sink. Though the grease may be liquid when you drain it, it hardens as it cools and will stick to your pipes.
- As part of your weekly kitchen chores, slowly poor a kettle of boiling hot water down your kitchen drain. This will melt away any small food particles or grease that may have accidentally entered your pipes.
- Every few months, pour a half bottle of vinegar down the drain and flush with hot water ten minutes later.
- Not all foods are suitable for a garage disposal, as they are too sticky or thick to be properly ground. Place food items like coffee grounds, banana peels, egg shells, and potato skins straight into the compost.
- When running your garage disposal, you should also have cold water running from the faucet. This will help carry the food particles all the way through the drainage system, instead of causing a blockage in the drain.
- Clean your garbage disposal with a brush specifically designed to clean the disposal. There are many home remedies which can be used to clean disposals, like ice and salt.
- Place a drain screen or hair catcher in your tub at all times, and in your sink when shaving. This will stop most hair and large gunk from entering your drains.
- Clean your drain stoppers of gunk, hair, and soap scum on a regular basis.
- There is a long list of items you should never flush down the toilet: non-flushable baby wipes, paper towels, condoms, cotton balls, Q-Tips, floss, and diapers.
- Once per month, treat your drains with BIO-CLEAN, a safe and eco-friendly professional plumbing treatment.
If you do end up with a clogged drain, give an Ottawa area faucet repair company like Faucet Fix a call. We have been delivering friendly and efficient repair and replacement services to countless satisfied homeowners since 1989.